[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Oct 21 20:06:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1; modulo getting PEP 380 in before the moratorium ;)

I see the smiley, but just in case you were half serious, I really
think we should stick to the policy and not make exceptions for
personal pet peeves.

> I think a fair amount of our time and work is better spent on the
> stdlib, various implementation(s) and things of that nature
> (ecosystem).

Of course, no moratorium can stop people from *proposing* changes, but
it helps core developers and others who "just want to get stuff done"
focus if they know we're not changing the language for quite a while.

Effectively the moratorium would freeze the language at the 3.1
version at least for 3.2 and possibly for 3.3. Also 2.7 could not add
language changes except possibly changes to keep up with 3.1 (but only
if *very* strict backwards compatibility with 2.6 is maintained also
-- I want the upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7 to be a breeze for everyone).

Obviously there are many things we could change in the standard
library that would still affect the ability to upgrade easily (see the
recent issues with 2.6.3 and 2.6.4), and we should be exercising a lot
of restraint in this are as well. But language changes affect other
implementations the most (I think). They also coincidentally speak
most to the imagination of the young, eager-to-add-their-pet-feature
amateur language designer crowd who so often fill python-ideas with
heated discussions.