[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Oct 21 20:26:49 CEST 2009

[Guido van Rossum]
> Note, the moratorium would only cover the language itself plus
> built-in functions, not the standard library.

That makes sense.

There may be a few areas that still have some rough edges where you
may want to allow changes if needed (tweaks to the nested with-statement
syntax, bytes/text interaction, star-args unpacking, or string formatting).
These areas probably have not been exercised much and there may still be
problems that need to be ironed-out.  I don't have anything specific
in mind.  Am just thinking that those features aren't yet mature.

Also, do you know if there any plans afoot to do something with function annotations?

>  I also want to exclude
> details of the CPython implementation, including the C API from being
> completely frozen -- for example, if someone came up with (otherwise
> acceptable) changes to get rid of the GIL I wouldn't object.

FWIW, I have pending updates for the set/frozenset implementation
(no api change).

Also, I'm hoping the recently submitted C implementation for decimal
gets accepted (as performance issues seem to be slowing broader
use of the module).  It looks like substantial work has already
been done.

> But the moratorium would clearly apply to proposals for anonymous
> blocks, "yield from" (PEP 380), changes to decorator syntax, and the
> like. (I'm sure it won't stop *discussion* of those proposals, and
> that's not the purpose of the moratorium; but at least it will stop
> worries elsewhere that such proposals might actually be *accepted* any
> time soon.)

Are you rejecting PEP 380?

Raymond