[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Oct 21 20:24:07 CEST 2009

Guido van Rossum schrieb:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1; modulo getting PEP 380 in before the moratorium ;)
>
> I see the smiley, but just in case you were half serious, I really
> think we should stick to the policy and not make exceptions for
> personal pet peeves.

Well, the moratorium isn't yet in place (which I also gather from you
posting that on the ideas list), so would be nothing wrong implementing
something before it starts... :)

Anyway, I'm not sure how much impact this will have; already there are
very few real language changes going on; after 2.6, whose such changes
mostly were Python 3 backports.  In 2.7, the multi-with syntax is the
only real language change so far.

(When you say "builtins", do you e.g. include the str.format() mini-language?
There has been a lot of work on that lately, to fix ambiguous corner-cases.)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but while it might stop a few threads on
python-dev, it won't change a lot in terms of how core development
time is spent.

cheers,
Georg