[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Oct 22 00:18:55 CEST 2009

Jesse Noller wrote:
> Distutils != core language syntax.

This, I know :)

 > Distutils was already mentioned in
 > guido's original email, and given it's a standard library module, it
 > can continue to evolve.

I was specifically referring to PEP 382, which I'm hoping can be used to
solve some of the heartburn that setuptools causes some people. I
believe we'll need to modify the import machinery for it, since the PEP
itself says "The import statement is extended so that it directly
considers *.pth files during import".

But I'll admit that I've not studied the PEP enough to know to implement
it or how much it helps the situation.

Eric.