[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Oct 22 09:14:58 CEST 2009

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

 > > Are you rejecting PEP 380?
 >
 > No, just deferring it. It didn't make Python 3.1 so I think we'll have
 > to live without it for a long time no matter what. It could be
 > revisited once the moratorium is lifted (for 3.3 or 3.4).

Would it be useful to allow work on it, maybe including a deferred
approval (ie, PEP is approved for implementation in version 3.3 [or
"when the moratorium is lifted"]), to proceed on a branch?  Branches
will be very cheap in hg.  I realize this may "bring work forward" for
you and other interested parties, on the other hand I think there is a
"strike while the iron's hot" aspect for implementators of the PEP.

In particular, having a working and approved feature on a branch would
allow those interested in the deferred PEP to merge into a (private)
fresh branch for compatibility testing of the work being done on the
mainline.