[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Oleg Broytman phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Oct 22 11:58:09 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 09:42:01AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I propose a moratorium on language changes. This would be a period of
> several years during which no changes to Python's grammar or language
> semantics will be accepted. The reason is that frequent changes to the
> language cause pain for implementors of alternate implementations

   +1 for the moratorium during the life of 3.2.
   +0.5 for 3.3.

   -1 for the reason. In my no so humble opinion the moratorium is a
benefit for the language, the implementation (CPython), the developers and
the users (software developers that use CPython). If alternative
implementations see their benefits - well, good for them.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru