[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Oct 23 02:31:06 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Jared Grubb <jared.grubb at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be a shame to discourage new ideas just because we are not willing
> to implement them "now".
>
> I hope that any moratorium would not cut discussions of new ideas short,
> would not change the tone of python-ideas, and would not discourage writing
> PEP's for new language features (with the understanding that it will be a
> while before they actually get implemented).

Actually one of my goals with the moratorium is to discourage
discussion of certain ideas that keep coming up forever and draining
the energy of the list. Also, I certainly don't hope that when the
moratorium is lifted there are 20 language PEPs waiting for approval.
Python's evolution needs to slow down as the user community grows.