[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Oct 23 05:50:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly- with a sandbox in place, the community could look at
> real code and evaluate features not just as abstract ideas, but
> as real working implementations- a first chance to see how
> well they might work in practice, how much code they break,
> and how well those changes work together, or, as you point
> out, don't.

You keep stressing the opportunities for new features, but I want to
crush that hope -- new features should be rare, and should become
rarer as the user community grows. The time to experiment was
approximately 10 years ago. Go invent a new language (and hope for it
to become popular :-) if you want to experiment.