[Python-ideas] add a global tick register to the interpreter?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 23 20:53:11 CEST 2009

Sturla Molden <sturla at ...> writes:

> In Windows we get precise timings using QueryPerformanceCounter and
> QueryPerformanceFrequency. On Linux it would be uclock and
> UCLOCKS_PER_SEC. An C extension using the proposed API would have to
> call these functions itself. The proposed registers are thus not for
> timing, but for measuring how many times the interpreter has ticked and
> tocked.

Well, given I plan to propose a removal of the whole "ticking" scheme (see the
"newgil" branch in the sandbox if you are curious), I am personally not terribly
interested in giving access to the current counters :-)

However, a cross-platform API for accessing high-resolution timers could be nice.

Regards

Antoine.