[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Oct 24 08:52:47 CEST 2009

Scott Dial writes:

 > I was going to stay out of this discussion, but I find it highly
 > annoying to see all these references to C being "static". One need only
 > glance at the length of GCC's changes for the major version numbers

What does the ChangeLog for an implementation have to do with the
stability of the language definition?

Guido's moratorium does not attempt to regulate adaptation to new
platforms, optimizations, or changes to improve conformance to the
language reference, and (AIUI) not even changes to improve conformance
of the implementation to programmer expectation where the language
reference was ambiguous.  Surely the vast majority of GCC changes fit
one of those categories.

Seems to me you have made a very powerful argument-by-analogy that
Guido's moratorium provides plenty of room for hyperactive core
development.