[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:25:10 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> geremy condra wrote:
>> My solution to this problem is a simple one: create
>> a sandbox where we can leverage Mercurial's ability
>> to create cheap and easy branches to get a glimpse
>> of possible future Pythons. We allow people to keep
>> coming up with ideas and keep developing ideas on
>> the off chance that one of them works so well that
>> we want to integrate it after the moratorium lifts.
>> There is no obligation here, no demands made on
>> anyone's time who does not care to take a look
>> at whats happening in the sandbox. In a few words,
>> there is no cost.
>
> Note that one of the major reasons behind moving to a DVCS at all it
> precisely to make it easier for people to collaborate on such
> experiments without having to involve python-dev.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

I'm a little unclear on what you're driving at here-
my goal is to keep these projects off the minds
of the core devs until they're about ready to go, to
make it easy for all the implementors to carefully
assess both the features themselves and the
code used to implement them as they near that
point, and to make certain that there is a common
point of reference for the debate over inclusion
afterwards. In other words, not specifically to
remove python-dev from the process, but rather
to allow it to spend its time more productively
elsewhere until it can be usefully spent there.

Geremy Condra