[Python-ideas] stdlib with its own release cycle ?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Oct 25 18:21:06 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Exactly. Since with the moratorium in effect, we are basically changing
> *nothing but* the stdlib, it has its own release cycle already :)

Not true. There is much core work that can be done without changing
the language definition (e.g. removing the GIL, speedups). Also,
extension modules written in C presumably don't fall under the
separate stdlib release but are excluded from the moratorium.

That said a separate stdlib release has been asked for at the language
summit and I am supportive. But it's link with the moratorium is
minimal.

--
--Guido van Rossum

PS. My elbow needs a couple more weeks of rest. Limiting myself to
ultra-short emails.