[Python-ideas] OT: external maintenance

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Oct 25 18:46:06 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum <guido at ...> writes:

> But the merges into the core will be tough. Imagine submitting a
> 5000-line patch and saying "I've worked on this for a year, please
> adopt it." Will we do enough code review to assert the code quality?

Pardon for hijacking the moratorium discussion, but this is the kind of problem
we already have with externally-maintained modules (such as json). The way they
are updated is that once in a while (once a year perhaps), their author comes
with a huge patch that we should ideally review, except that it's very difficult
to do so -- especially given that it's about a piece of code that we don't know
well in the first place.

> PS. My elbow needs a couple more weeks of rest. Limiting myself to
> ultra-short emails.

I hope you'll get better soon!

Regards

Antoine.