[Python-ideas] OT: external maintenance

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 21:23:27 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou schrieb:
>> Guido van Rossum <guido at ...> writes:
>>>
>>> But the merges into the core will be tough. Imagine submitting a
>>> 5000-line patch and saying "I've worked on this for a year, please
>>> adopt it." Will we do enough code review to assert the code quality?
>>
>> Pardon for hijacking the moratorium discussion, but this is the kind of problem
>> we already have with externally-maintained modules (such as json). The way they
>> are updated is that once in a while (once a year perhaps), their author comes
>> with a huge patch that we should ideally review, except that it's very difficult
>> to do so -- especially given that it's about a piece of code that we don't know
>> well in the first place.
>
> But we haven't really put a review policy into place for core commits, and
> since the authors of those packages all (?) are core devs, we trust them
> enough to commit to the core.  It's different with DVCS branches created
> by "only" community members.

<snip>

My suggestion then would be to review them. There's a couple of years
lead time before that needs to be done, and there will probably only be
a very small number of these projects that ever bear any fruit. As I said
in another thread, if thats not enough time to attract some developer's
interest, then the feature probably wasn't good enough to land anyway.

Geremy Condra