[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 26 00:22:44 CET 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 04:30:36 pm Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> It seems to me that what Guido is heading for here is very similar to
> the "punctuated equilibrium" concept (associated with the
> evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, the wikipedia article is
> pretty good, and fairly short).

I argue that you've got it backwards. Python has been relatively stable
in the ways that matter for almost all of it's history. Nearly all the
changes to the language in 1.x and 2.x have either been
backwards-compatible, or managed carefully with a deprecation schedule
or __future__. The result of this is that code written for Python 1.5,
and possibly older, will still work in Python 2.6. It's easy enough to
ignore new features if you need to support an older version.

This does not apply to 3.x. If you want to see punctuated equilibrium in
software development, the change from 2.x to 3.x is an good example: a
relatively large change in a non-backwards compatible way, with no
gentle migration path. Supporting 3.x is all-or-nothing: you can't
support 3.1 and 2.6 with the same code base, except possibly for the
most trivial code.

I suggest that the causes of the slow uptake of 3.x isn't too many
changes to the core, but three factors:

(1) There's no gentle migration path from 2.x to 3.x in the same way
that there have been gentle migration paths from every version to the
next version in 1.x and 2.x. Instead you've got a discontinuous change.
Library maintainers have to choose between:

- support 2.x only
- support 3.x only
- maintain two incompatible code bases.

The path of least effort is to support 2.x only, because they're already
doing that.

(2) For many people, 3.x doesn't offer any obvious compelling advantages
over 2.x. (Of course, your mileage may vary.) Reading the What's New
for 3.0, I see *many* nice features and cleanups, many Nice To Have new
features, but no obvious Must Have to encourage me to migrate.

http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

(3) It's the bootstrap problem: most systems that ship with CPython
still ship with 2.x, and will continue to do so until people are
regularly using 3.x, but people generally use whatever their system
ships with.

I don't see that a moratorium on new features will help with any of
these issues.

> In software, it may make sense to have the stable periods be *much*
> more stable,

The principle of "release early, release often" argues against that
claim. The 2.x series has been very successful. Why change a successful
procedure for one which is, at best, unproven, and at worst, condemns
the language to the (unfair) label "moribund"?

I don't believe that the experience of the C language is relevant. The C
*standard* was stable, but actual C compilers evolved like mad,
providing non-standard features. Because C is so low-level, the
difference between a built-in and a library is very slight.

> But it makes sense to propose to compress
> the evolution into short periods with many changes,

As has happened in the change to Python 3.x.

> and have very stable periods of "moratorium" between.

We keep coming back to this idea that the volume of change in a language
is, in and of itself, harmful. I dispute that. It is *incompatible*
change that is harmful. Developers have been slow to move to 3.x not
because it's different from 2.x, but because it is different in
inconveniently incompatible ways.

There have been some major new features in the 2.x series, e.g.
new-style classes, generators and decorators. As far as I can tell,
those versions didn't suffer from lack of uptake as 3.x has suffered.
It's not new features that frightens developers off, but incompatible
change.

--
Steven D'Aprano