[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 27 13:49:51 CET 2009

geremy condra writes:
 > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

 > > The core devs' time will be saved by ignoring the sandbox (other than
 > > their own features),

 > Until a feature because quite mature, yes- afterwards, no. That's
 > the point of keeping it separate.

I see what you're saying, my assessment is that it will not be as
effective as you think.  Your assessment is different.  Only way to
prove it one way or the other is to try it.

 > Don't assume that the only people with the experience and knowledge
 > to implement [a language change] are part of the core dev group-
 > especially a couple of years from now.

I don't make that assumption, it's an empirical observation of current
conditions, backed up by the observation that new people have been
gaining committer status regularly over the time I've watched
Python-Dev -- if you've got the Right Stuff, there are few barriers to
joining the core.  I agree with you that they won't be the *same*
people that are around today, but they will most likely be in the
core.