[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Oct 27 18:02:44 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Towards that end, I'd also like to propose a very public, very
>> accessible 'sandbox' specifically for the development and testing of
>> new language features while the moratorium is in effect. Its goal
>> would be to keep interest in changes to core language design
>> ongoing by keeping the barrier to entry low, while simultaneously
>> separating it from core development. With any luck, it would mean
>> that when the moratorium lifts, Python will be able to take its pick
>> from the best of the language proposals, while still having given
>> other implementations the opportunity to study their behavior
>> "in the wild" for a period of months or years.
>
> I can't stop people from forking the language to do experiments, but
> one of the goals I have for the moratorium is actually to *reduce* the
> interest in core language changes, and to *raise* the barrier to
> entry. Most language change proposals are just fluff, and they will be
> just as unneeded three years from now as they are today. Once the
> moratorium is lifted, users should be able expect the normal, slow,
> conservative evolution of the language to continue -- not to see the
> floodgates lifted for a barrage of new features.

Here's a thought:  How about directing the developement effort in a
predictable pattern. An example of this might be...

      3.2  -  library development, and bugs
      3.3  -  bug fix's only, (long term stable release)
      3.4  -  core development, bugs
      3.5  -  library, bugs
      3.6  -  bugs only, (long term stable release)
      3.7  -  core, bugs
      3.8  -  library, bugs
      3.9  -  bugs only, (long term stable release)

Also one of the things I like about Ubuntu's development, is the pre
announcement of what areas of Ubuntu will be worked on. I think that has a
really good effect on how well development efforts are focused.

Cheers,
   Ron Adam