[Python-ideas] Pyopt - an attempt at a pythonic optparse

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Sep 6 03:59:11 CEST 2009

RunThePun <ubershmekel at gmail.com> writes:

> I put some sweat into this one so I was hoping to see if you guys like
> it or have any ideas for improvement.
> http://code.google.com/p/pyopt/

Thanks for your work on this.

> from pyopt import CmdPos
> from pyopt import parse_cmds

My main complaint at this point is the chosen names.

Within Python code, I don't need to be reminded that I'm writing Python.
The module names should not be ‘pyopt’; you should choose a namespace
that better describes what the module is for, without the ‘py’.

Also, please name the classes and functions so they're not needlessly
CprsdWrds. Instead, choose names that contain whole words, or at least
very-commonly-used abbreviations with little ambiguity. That way the
names will be both more descriptive and easier to pronounce, and thus
easier to remember correctly.

--
 \      “[I]t is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he |
  `\                thinks he already knows.” —Epictetus, _Discourses_ |