[Python-ideas] Pyopt - an attempt at a pythonic optparse

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 09:34:10 CEST 2009

How about these names for the module:1. optionparse
2. shlopt (for shell options, sounds kinda cute albeit less descriptive)
3. shelloptions
4. ?

And the decorator Names:
1. shell_expose_kwargs and shell_expose_args
2. expose_keywords and expose_arguments
3. expose and expose_keywords?
4. ?

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Ben Finney
<ben+python at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bpython at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

> RunThePun <ubershmekel at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I put some sweat into this one so I was hoping to see if you guys like
> > it or have any ideas for improvement.
> > http://code.google.com/p/pyopt/
>
> Thanks for your work on this.
>
> > from pyopt import CmdPos
> > from pyopt import parse_cmds
>
> My main complaint at this point is the chosen names.
>
> Within Python code, I don't need to be reminded that I'm writing Python.
> The module names should not be ‘pyopt’; you should choose a namespace
> that better describes what the module is for, without the ‘py’.
>
> Also, please name the classes and functions so they're not needlessly
> CprsdWrds. Instead, choose names that contain whole words, or at least
> very-commonly-used abbreviations with little ambiguity. That way the
> names will be both more descriptive and easier to pronounce, and thus
> easier to remember correctly.
>
> --
>  \      “[I]t is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he |
>  `\                thinks he already knows.” —Epictetus, _Discourses_ |
> Ben Finney

Yuv
hzk.co.il