[Python-ideas] Pyopt - an attempt at a pythonic optparse

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 6 10:21:30 CEST 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 06:14:00 pm Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On 09/06/2009 01:34 AM, Yuvgoog Greenle wrote:
> > How about these names for the module:
> > 1. optionparse
> > 2. shlopt (for shell options, sounds kinda cute albeit less
> > descriptive)
>
> It shouldn't really IMHO be called anything having to do with "opt"
> because that typically means the "-" (or in Windows "/") options (as
> in "getopt" and "optik" which is now "optparse").

But handling the dash command line options is exactly what the module is
about.

Perhaps the author can explain why this module is better or more
pythonic than the two existing solutions already in the standard
library. More importantly, while I'm sure the author is excited by his
project, why has it been announced on this list? It seems to be
off-topic to my mind.

--
Steven D'Aprano