[Python-ideas] Decorator syntax restriction

Tue Sep 8 23:46:09 CEST 2009

Mike Meyer wrote:
> What I was attempting to do was point out that succinctness for the
> sake of succinctness isn't necessarily a good thing. Python indeed
> tries to be succinct, but balances that against the need for the
> results to still be readable.

I'm quite interested in this as well.  I think that a Pythonic
succinctness is very DRY (don't repeat yourself), rather than
short.  What I want when I read code is to be reading ideas, not
typing or pasting.  In Python, when I find I'm doing something
several times I look for ways to combine tables and code, so what
varies shows up clearly, and what is in common shows in the loop.

APL was one language that battered me over the head with the
proof that shorter was not necessarily clearer.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org