[Python-ideas] Decorator syntax restriction

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 03:40:58 CEST 2009

You can drop the game of life manual, it would be needed in any
implementation so it doesn't help in describing the function
documentation_length(code_length)... Aside from a constant value.
d - documentatin_length the amount of words or symbols.
c - code_length in words or symbols.

d = K*c + A

Lets approximate:
brainfuck K = 30
APL K = 20
perl K = 2
python K = 0.5

K is the obfuscation factor (anti-readability).

The constant A is needed because if you didn't write any code you're still
gonna have some explaining to do.

For a given algorithm with a complexity of L logical nodes, here's the
inverse relation Ryan was talking about.:
L = d * c * Rd * Rc

As you can see for a given algorithm with a constant L, as d grows, c
shrinks. R is the richness of the language, if we have more words in our
language, less words are needed to describe things. Rd is the richness of
the documentation language (english) and Rc is the richness of the
code-language. I think there might be some unit problems so I'm gonna let
someone else clean up and complete the equations. Good night.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> George Sakkis wrote:
>
>  Any such proof or even discussion should take into account what the
>> primitives (atoms and allowed operations) are.
>>

> Probably you should include the size of the documentation
> of the primitives used in your programming language
> manual, any other well-known literature they implicitly
> refer to, etc.
>
>  If not, here is a
>> solution that is short both in code and documentation:
>>
>>     game_of_life().solve()
>>

> But then you need to go and find a paper describing
> the game of life and the algorithm being used to
> solve it and include its length!
>
> --
> Greg

Yuv