[Python-ideas] Wild idea: Exception.format

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 02:57:37 CEST 2009

I fail to see why you can't have both args and kwargs...
class BaseException:
    @classmethod
    def format(cls, fmt, *args, **kwargs):
        return cls(fmt.format(*args, **kwargs), *args, **kwargs)

And concerning Gerog's actual question, I think this is a not uncommon
pattern, but
    raise Exception.format(...)
doesn't sound good. It's not really as readable as
    raise Exception(fmt.format(ext), ext)

ilya suggested an almost ok direction but he doesn't define formats at
runtime. So maybe instead we can make a factory for formatted exceptions.

def formatted_exception(exception):
    def format_and_return(fmt, *args, **kwargs):
        return exception(fmt.format(*args, **kwargs), *args, **kwargs)
    return format_and_return

@formatted_exception
class NotRegisteredError(LookupError): pass

then the usage becomes:
raise NotRegisteredError("Extension {0} not registered.", ext)