[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:14:26 CEST 2009

I was trying to think how a decorator @strict_duck_typing could be
implemented to solve the issue Bruce Leban described. The more I think about
it, the harder I think it is to implement.
I wanted to do something along the lines of:

def parameters_from_signature(function, args, kwargs):
    "Translate a generic function call to the function's parameters by name"
    argnames, varargs, keywords, defaults = inspect.getargspec(function)
    args_and_kwargs = kwargs.copy()
    names_and_args = zip(argnames, args)
    args_and_kwargs.update(names_and_args)
    if varargs is not None:
        args_and_kwargs[varargs] = args[len(argnames):]
    return args_and_kwargs

def strict_duck_typing(function):
    attr_dict = attributes_used_by_function(function)

    def verify_and_run(*args, **kwargs):
        called_with = parameters_from_signature(function, args, kwargs)

        for parameter, attributes_needed in attr_dict.items():
            for attr in attributes_needed:
                if not hasattr(called_with[parameter], attr):
                    raise TypeError("Parameter '%s' given doesn't have '%s'
attribute/method." % (parameter, attr))

        function(*args, **kwargs)

Of course the big enchilada is the function 'attributes_used_by_function'
which I left out because it has to do some insane things. I was thinking of
using ast.parse(inspect.getsource(function)) and then:

   1. stepping into each function call which involves the function
   parameters, perhaps repeating the ast.parse/inspect.getsource combo.
   2. collecting all the methods and attributes accessed.
   3. getattr/setattr/hasattr need to be simulated or handled
   4. return a dictionary of { parameter_name: attributes_needed_set }

And even after this crazy piece of work there are some limitations ie:

   1. C functions wouldn't be inspected, which is a tragedy, ie len(),
   iter(), etc have to be especially treated...
   2. dynamically generated attributes and attribute names will always break
   this decorator.
   3. performance issues
   4. probably more things i didn't think of...

So I like the idea of strict duck typing, but it's gonna take more than one
mailing list reply for me to write a POC :)