[Python-ideas] adding digital signature and encryption "hashes" to hashlib?

CTO debatem1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:52:29 CEST 2009

On Sep 20, 1:07 pm, Bill Janssen <jans... at parc.com> wrote:
> CTO <debat... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > However, it reminded me of an idea from a couple of years ago: extend
> > > the hashlib module to produce two additional kinds of hashes: a digital
> > > signature for some sequence of bytes, and an encrypted/decrypted version
> > > of a sequence of bytes.  Basically, the would bring more of the OpenSSL
> > > EVP API out to Python (hashlib already uses OpenSSL EVP for various hash
> > > formations).
> > >http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/evp.html
> > Besides the fact that hashes and encryption are pretty much totally
> > different
> I know it seems that way at first glance, but in fact they are strongly
> related.  There's a reason all three (and nothing else) are exported
> through OpenSSL's EVP API.
> Bill

Don't get me wrong, I like the basic idea you're advancing, and in
use hashes and crypto are frequently seen together, but they solve
different problems in *very* different ways. The fact that you-
who obviously have some interest in crypto and presumably a good
deal of knowledge about it- seem to be under the impression that
RSA and SHA have some kinship, well, it doesn't reassure me about
the ability of non-experts to figure out what's what. IMO, adding
public key crypto routines to hashlib seems almost guaranteed to
increase that confusion. Others will doubtless disagree.

Geremy Condra