[Python-ideas] adding digital signature and encryption "hashes" to hashlib?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 23:46:14 CEST 2009

On 2009-09-21 16:37 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Again, I wasn't proposing to replace m2cryto or pycrypto or anything
> else; I was suggesting that providing easy-to-use APIs to a couple of
> commonly-requested crypto features, for use by non-cryptographers,
> wouldn't be a bad idea.

Going back to CTO's original reply, I would say that he agrees with you. Where
he (and I, for that matter) diverge is that we don't think they should go into
hashlib. The name is inappropriate and misleading. The unifying concept among
the functionality you want to include is not "hashing" but "cryptography", and
the module that ties together that functionality should be named appropriately.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco