[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

ilya ilya.nikokoshev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:00:44 CEST 2009

> Weak and strong typing are a matter of degree -- there's no definitive
> test for "weak" vs "strong" typing, only degrees of weakness. The

Indeed, there certainly different places where language can enforce
types. One of them is operators, but I want to point out other places
as well. Some languages require explicit type in collections.

I believe Pascal and to some extent C#, while certainly not current
Python, fall it the category of languages which require containers to
declare explicit type of elements.

This case is especially relevant to Python, since BFDL considered
adding parametrized types
(http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=86641) though later
dropped this idea
(http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=86641); others,
e.g. the original poster, often suggest something similar.

I personally continue to be on the side of "strong testing" rather
than "strong typing" -- Bruce Eckel said it better than I could do at
http://mindview.net/WebLog/log-0025.

ilya n.