[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 22:37:01 CEST 2009

2009/9/22 Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net>

> On 22 Sep 2009, at 17:46 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> And it's a pretty bad one to boot: both Java and C# allow adding
>>> strings and ints (whether it's `3 + "5"` or `"5" + 3`) (in fact they
>>> allow adding *anything* to a string), but the operation is well
>>> defined: convert any non-string involved to a string (via #toString
>>> ()/.ToString()) and concatenate.
>>>

>> I don't see why you say it's a bad test. To me, it's a good test, and
>> Java and C# pass it.
>>
>>  Uh no, by your criterion they fail it: both java and C# do add strings
> and integers without peeping.

C# will not allow you to add strings to numbers, this is nonsense. If you
call ToString() then this is an explicit operation to produce a string
representation - and it is this string that you add. It is *not* at all the
same as adding arbitrary objects on strings. You can't compile a C# program
that attempts to add strings and numbers.

I'm also pretty sure you can't override the default behavior on integers etc
(C# does have operator overloading but doesn't allow you to redefine
operators on the fundamental types - Java doesn't even have operator
overloading).

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/