[Python-ideas] "value" ~ "data" ~ "object"

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:37:02 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have been recently thinking at lexical distinctions around the notion of data. (--> eg for a starting point http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhatIsData) Not only but especially in Python. I ended up with the following questions:
Can one state "in Python value=data=object"?
Can one state "in Python speak value=data=object"?

What useful distinctions are or may be done, for instance in documentation?
What kind of difference in actual language semantics may such distinctions mirror?

Denis

PS: side-question on english:
I am annoyed by the fact that in english "data" is mainly used & understood as a collective (uncountable) noun. "datum" (singular) & "datas" (plural) seem to be considered weird. How to denote a single unit of data wothout using the phrase "piece of data"? Can one still use "datum" or "datas" (or "data" as plural) and be trivially understood by *anybody* (not only scientists)? Or else what word should one use?
-->
Compare: german Datum/Daten http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Datum, french donnée/données http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/donn%C3%A9e, etc...