[Python-ideas] "value" ~ "data" ~ "object"

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 17 01:36:31 CEST 2010

"Lie Ryan" <lie.1296 at gmail.com> wrote

> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how you define your equality; ...
> Did you mean value *is an* object but object *is not (necessarily) a* value?

Yes, exactly. On reflection "="  was probably the wrong symbol to use.

>> mapping is data.
>
> You don't need to define a mapping; since definition of mapping can be
> derived from function:

True but that's the point I was making.
The mapping whether implemented as a table/dictionary or
as a function is still a form of data but it is not a value or even
a set of values.

> I guess the problem here is the distinction between data, value, object
> depends on how you define it. IOW, trying to make a concrete distinction
> from an inconcrete axioms/definition is bound to be futile.

Indeed, and I'm very aware that Denis is coming from another
language and even within English there are there are geographical
differences of idiom and definition for the same words. It is therefore
very difficult to be absolutely precise in any such discussion.

> Many Information Systems people like to differentiate between data and
> information; most English dictionaries does not.

Ooh I was deliverately steering clear of the distinctions between data,
information and knowledge! There lie religious wars! :-)

Likewise the distinctions between Type and class can take many twists.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site