[Python-ideas] Small enhancement to os.path.splitext

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Apr 21 02:27:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Seems to me the best thing to do is always compare extensions
> case-insensitively unless you have a specific reason to do
> otherwise. So I would recommend that any proposed hasextension()
> function should be case-insensitive by default.

I've certainly seen cases where the case was relevant in order to
determine how a file was handled.  There have been compilers that
interpreted .c as C and .C as C++.  (Not that better options weren't
available, but that was part of the default interpretation.)  This was
GCC, so... not particularly obscure.

  -Fred