[Python-ideas] Small enhancement to os.path.splitext

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-python.b4bdba at mired.org
Wed Apr 21 16:19:30 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:33:30 +1200
Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 21/04/10 12:47, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > if you have a way to make it case-sensitive, you're
> > back where we started from: needing to figure out whether the files in
> > question care about case.
>
> It's not whether the *files* care about case, it's
> whether the *application* cares about case.

Actually, it's the file system. The *application* case is dealt with
by the option of doing a case-insensitive test. If you turn that off,
then you have to figure out whether or not the file system is case
insensitive to do it right.

> So I think it's likely that in any particular case,
> the caller of hasextension() will know whether he
> wants case-sensitivity or not.

Right. I'm talking about the case where the developer knows he wants
case sensitivity. In that case, you have to know whether or not the
file system is case sensitive to know whether or not "file.c" would
get opened if the application tried to open "file.C".

    <mike