[Python-ideas] Small enhancement to os.path.splitext

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:43:37 CEST 2010

On 23 April 2010 15:21, Bruce Leban <bruce at leapyear.org> wrote:
> Probably most useful is to provide access to fs locale and case sensitivety
> mode and leave rest for now.

That was my original suggestion - unfortunately I only know how to do
this for Windows, and my research seems to indicate that it might not
even be possible on Linux.

If someone can give me some pointers on how to check case sensitivity
for a filesystem on Linux/Unix/POSIX and MacOS, I'm willing to try to
create a suitable patch for the stdlib. I don't consider writing a
file then reading it back as a way of doing this, as there may be
permission issues, and it'll trigger filesystem notification hooks,
etc, so it's not really suitable as a stdlib solution (although
obviously it's a fine solution for an application to use if the
application design makes it appropriate...)

Paul.