[Python-ideas] Cofunctions - an enhancement to yield-from

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 3 03:46:14 CEST 2010

On 03/08/10 04:45, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> It remains to be seen at which point this becomes prohibitive and when
> the overhead of wrapping every generator in a From instance (and
> passing every next() call through a method of that instance) is
> actually faster, given that a for-loop iteration is just a few
> bytecode instructions.

I don't know about the trampoline-style implementations
that have been posted, but I did some timings with my
yield-from implementation, and it seems that delegating
a next() call via yield-from has only about 8% of the
overhead of doing the same with a for-loop.

I also tried an experiment where I traversed a binary
tree using recursive generators and yield-from. For
a tree depth of 20, the whole thing was between 2 and
3 times faster than using for-loops.

--
Greg