[Python-ideas] Cofunctions: It's alive! Its alive!

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 7 16:51:04 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM, Carl M. Johnson
<cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course, as we all know on the OS side of things, cooperative
> multitasking has been more or less phased out [...]

I don't think you can see this as reflecting badly on cooperative
multitasking. Rather, it is now understood better and has moved
entirely to user space, leaving the OS to deal with preemptive
threads, which cannot work well without OS support. As an example of
cooperative multitasking being alive and well, see Stackless,
Greenlets, and, in fact, coroutines built out of generators (possible
in Python 2.5 and later).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)