[Python-ideas] Cofunctions: It's alive! Its alive!

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Aug 8 04:16:03 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM, Carl M. Johnson
>> <cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Of course, as we all know on the OS side of things, cooperative
>>> multitasking has been more or less phased out [...]
>>
>> I don't think you can see this as reflecting badly on cooperative
>> multitasking. Rather, it is now understood better and has moved
>> entirely to user space, leaving the OS to deal with preemptive
>> threads, which cannot work well without OS support. As an example of
>> cooperative multitasking being alive and well, see Stackless,
>> Greenlets, and, in fact, coroutines built out of generators (possible
>> in Python 2.5 and later).
>
> Even simpler: GUI event loops are fundamentally about cooperative
> multi-tasking. To me, the cofunction idea is really about making it
> easier to write event loop code.

I actually added a reference to Twisted to my email, and then took it
out because (while I agree to a point) the programming model with
callbacks is so different that the word "task" doesn't really cover it
for me. But it is indeed all about total app control over where to
suspend execution in favor of another activity.

> I think PEP 380 works well on its own, but will work better when
> paired with a separate cofunctions PEP

We'll see. I still cannot get my head around why cofunctions are so
great. (Also the name sucks for me.)

> (similar to how PEP 342 and PEP
> 343 were best considered as a pair of co-proposals that went together,
> even though they were technically independent of each other).

That's a rather one-sided relationship though. While PEP 343 deeply
relies on the improvements to yield (especially close() and the new
exception semantics), the main subject of PEP 342 (coroutines)
couldn't care less about with-statements (unless there's a pattern I'm
missing).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)