[Python-ideas] Cofunctions: It's alive! Its alive!

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Aug 11 01:07:19 CEST 2010

Jack Diederich wrote:

> So the benefit of cocalls is runtime type checking? Are your unit tests broken?

The benefit is *diagnosis* of certain types of errors that
otherwise produce very mysterious symptoms.

Unit tests would tell me that *something* was wrong, but
not what it is or where it is.

> I was -0 on ABCs and function annotations because I was promised by
> people that liked them that I could safely ignore them.  I can't
> safely ignore this so I'm -1.

I don't see any difference in ignorability. Just like ABCs, you
can ignore it if you don't use it in your own code. You have to
understand it in order to deal with someone else's code that
uses it, but the same is true of ABCs or anything else.

--
Greg