[Python-ideas] Cofunctions PEP - Revision 4

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 00:00:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Greg Ewing
> <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>>> Without send() and throw(), an object is just an iterator, never a
>>> cofunction (as there is no way for it to make cooperative calls - you
>>> need the extra two methods in order to receive the results of any such
>>> calls).
>>
>> There are plenty of uses for cofunctions that never send or
>> receive any values using yield, but just use it as a suspension
>> point. In that case, send() is never used, only next(). And
>> I suspect that use of throw() will be even rarer.
>
> Could you name some of those uses please? If you aren't getting
> answers back, they sound like ordinary iterators to me. The whole
> *point* of cofunctions to my mind is that they let you do things like
> async I/O (where you expect a result back, in the form of a return
> value or an exception) in a way that feels more like normal imperative
> programming.
>
> So, you may consider there to be plenty of uses for iterate-only
> cofunctions, but I come up blank.

At the very least, a non-generator cofunction will need to offer
close() and __del__() (or its weakref equivalent) to release resources
in the event of an exception in any called cofunctions (independent of
any expected exceptions, almost anything can throw KeyboardInterrupt).

I just don't see how further blurring the lines between cofunctions
and ordinary generators is helping here. Providing dummy
implementations of send() and throw() that ignore their arguments and
devolve to next() is trivial, while still making the conceptual
separation clearer. PEP 342 is *called* "Coroutines via enhanced
generators", and it still seems to me that the usage of send() and
throw() is one of the key features distinguishing a cooperative
scheduler from ordinary iteration.

Cheers,
Nick.