[Python-ideas] 3to3 tool for 3.x to 3.x+n version migrations

Zac Burns zac256 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 02:59:50 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Carl Johnson <
cmjohnson.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

>  When we were discussing yield from, Guido mentioned that it would be nice
> to have some way to test out things like that before committing all of
> Python to it. One way to do that might be if someone adapted it into a
> "4-to-3" to let you rewrite yield from, for example, in its full Python 3.2
> expansion form. In other words, the n-to-n engine could be used as a general
> purpose macro system. Perhaps it could even useful for the
> internationalization project mentioned recently?
>
> The advantage of having the macro engine separate from Python proper would
> be that this way these extensions never get popular, and so 99% of
> Pythonistas never have to worry that maybe someone redefined "for item in
> items:" in their module using C-style #macros. It would exist solely as a
> way of testing out the various proposals that are made on Python-ideas and
> elsewhere before having to commit to them or of translating Python programs
> into a native language for younger, non-English native programmers.
>
> -- Carl

I am in favor of keeping this in some form as well (but would like to see
some changes made, it's design reflects a sort of one-offness).

I have used it in the past for broad codebase manipulations at a sort of
package compile time.

Using it for yield from seems brilliant as well.

--
Zachary Burns
(407)590-4814