[Python-ideas] A common configuration file standard for the stdlib + configparser (or replacer) new API

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sat Feb 6 23:46:34 CET 2010

Hello everyone

Two cents: The Basedir Spec, used by free software desktop environments
like Xfce, LXDE, Rox, GNOME or KDE, proposes a scheme that would fit the
bill:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

I proposed following the spec in #7175 too.

There exists a Python module to retrieve these dirs, but it’s poorly
written. I’ve been meaning to get in touch with the maintainers and
propose improvements for a while but haven’t had time yet.

A very nice thing in my opinion would be to integrate config file and
command line parsing. Logilab and others did that. Countless projects
would benefit.

Kind regards