[Python-ideas] warnings package might provide an Option or a pre-filled OptionParser

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Sun Feb 21 15:39:42 CET 2010

On 21 Feb 2010, at 15:28 , C. Titus Brown wrote:

> warnings is a Python developer issue.
>
> optparse provides command line arguments for users to make use of.
>
> Generally, when running things from the command line, I shouldn't care about
> what language (or language version, or internal details of that language)
> I'm using.
There are cases where the user is a python developers and might want to manipulate warnings e.g. a web framework's development server or a pluggable tool where one is developing new plugins within the tool, in both cases the startup script is often called directly, not using an explicit python call. Though I didn't quite remember to describe those use cases when I made the initial proposal. Providing the option or not would be left at to the tool creator's judgement.