[Python-ideas] warnings package might provide an Option or a pre-filled OptionParser

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Sun Feb 21 16:19:24 CET 2010

On 21 Feb 2010, at 16:02 , C. Titus Brown wrote:

> I like Greg's idea of putting it into optparse over warnings because the
> dependency link is more appropriate; optparse is not related to language
> behavior, like warnings is.
Yeah but as I said above, I'm not sure it's optparse's role to provide pre-built/convenience options for other stdlib modules, especially given the chance those option would hit into the modules's implementation details.

>  Plus there's been some recent movement on
> the idea that optparse may be deprecated (silently or otherwise...) in
> future Python releases.
Well I'm starting the impl on -trunk, and if optparse is deprecated in favor of argparse, I'm sure the same facilities can be built for argparse. It's not like the patch is gigantic.

> Whatever you decide, Antoine has said "go for it" -- make up a patch
> and see what happens ;).
Will do, thanks a lot.