[Python-ideas] warnings package might provide an Option or a pre-filled OptionParser

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sun Feb 21 17:59:20 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:19:24PM +0100, Masklinn wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2010, at 16:02 , C. Titus Brown wrote:
> > I like Greg's idea of putting it into optparse over warnings because the
> > dependency link is more appropriate; optparse is not related to language
> > behavior, like warnings is.
>
> Yeah but as I said above, I'm not sure it's optparse's role to provide pre-built/convenience options for other stdlib modules, especially given the chance those option would hit into the modules's implementation details.

...and that's exactly why I'm not enthusiastic about your idea in the first
place.  I don't see it cleanly fitting in either location, which may mean the
functionality doesn't belong in the stdlib at all.

I'm new to python-ideas, and I'm not a python-dev committer, so this is all
just my opinion.  I'm going to guess that your best bet is to provide a patch
which will provide a basis for substantive discussion.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu