[Python-ideas] Test Class setup and teardown in unittest

Holger Krekel holger.krekel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:52:44 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 16:38, Mark Roddy <markroddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Earlier this week on the Testing In Python list, there was a
>> discussion on how to execute a setup and/or teardown for a single test
>> class instead of for each test fixture on the class (see the 'setUp
>> and tearDown behavior' thread).  I have had to deal with situation
>> myself before, and I am obviously not the only one (since I did not
>> initiate the thread).  As such I'd like to propose adding a class
>> level setup and tear down method the unittest TestCase class.
>>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you simply use __init__ and
> __del__ for this purpose?

Test resource finalization needs strict semantics and predictable
timing i'd say - and at least '__del__' doesn't provide that on some
python interpreters.  Moreover, unitttest (as well as py.test and
other test runners) instantiate fresh instances for a test method exec
to prevent hidden dependencies between tests.

cheers,
holger