[Python-ideas] Using only patches for pulling changes in hg.python.org

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jul 4 17:26:56 CEST 2010

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:46:53 +0200
Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> Fourth, one-patch-per-issue is too restrictive. Small commits are useful
> because they're way easier to review. Concatenate several small commits
> leading up to a single issue fix into a single patch and it gets much
> harder to read.

I don't agree with that. The commits obviously won't be independent
because they will be motivated by each other (or even dependent on each
other), therefore you have to remember what the other commits do when
reviewing one of them. What's more, when reading "hg log" months or
years later, it is hard to make sense of a single commit because you
don't really know what issue it was meant to contribute to fix.

I know that's how Mercurial devs do things, but I don't really like
it.

Regards

Antoine.