[Python-ideas] 'where' statement in Python?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 15:27:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> We just had a long thread about this.
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2010-June/007476.html
>
> The sentiment was about -0 to -0.5 on the idea in general, although a
> couple of people with experience in implementing Python syntax
> expressed sympathy for it.

For the record, I am personally +1 on the idea (otherwise I wouldn't
have put so much thought into it over the years). It's just a *lot*
harder to define complete and consistent semantics for the concept
than people often realise.

However, having the question come up twice within the last month
finally inspired me to write the current status of the topic down in a
deferred PEP: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3150/

Cheers,
Nick.