[Python-ideas] 'where' statement in Python?

Nathan Schneider nathan at cmu.edu
Wed Jul 21 21:55:45 CEST 2010

> if some_bool_func(a):
>     ans = some_func1(a, b, c)
> else:
>     ans = some_func2(a, b, c)
> given: # note: given applied to the block starting with the "if" statement
>     a = get_a()
>     b = get_b()
>     c = get_c()

It seems to me that the postfix construct would confuse the reader in
a scenario such as the above, rather than reducing complexity. (Worse,
suppose 'a', 'b', and 'c' had been assigned prior to the 'if'
statement!) Moreover, our intuitions seem to be fuzzy when it comes to
the desirability/behavior of control flow statements in the 'given'
block. So I'm -1 on this: I think there is a marked increase in the
opportunity for confusion among authors and readers, without a clear
set of common patterns that would be improved (even if readability is
slightly better on occasion).

I think a better alternative to allow for safe localization of
variables to a block would be to adapt the 'with' statement to behave
as a 'let' (similar to suggestions earlier in the thread). For
instance:

with fname = sys.argv[1], open(fname) as f, contents = f.read():
    do_stuff1(fname, contents)
    do_stuff2(contents)
do_stuff3(fname)  # error: out of scope

This makes it clear to the reader that the assignments to 'fname' and
'contents', like 'f', only pertain to the contents of the 'with'
block. It allows the reader to focus their eye on the 'important'
part—the part inside the block—even though it doesn't come first. It
helps avoid bugs that might arise if 'fname' were used later on. And
it leaves no question as to where control flow statements are
permitted/desirable.

I'm +0.5 on this alternative: my hesitation is because we'd need to
explain to newcomers why 'f = open(fname)' would be legal but bad,
owing to the subtleties of context managers. (I worry Alex's proposal
for the interpreter to create context managers on the fly would only
add confusion.)

Nathan