[Python-ideas] Json object-level serializer

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:42:17 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:25:20 +0200
> Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That makes sense. OTHO, if we drop the idea of having a __magical__ method,
>> we could have an collections' ABC instead, called JSONSerializable,
>> with one method to override,
>>
>> This is more about declaring the interface rather than adding yet
>> another __magic__ method
>>
>> That's a nice OOP pattern to have imho
>
> Python is supposed to be duck-typed. It would be strange to add a
> couple of random exceptions to that general rule. Moreover, having to
> *both* derive an existing class and implement the single method defined
> on that class is one complication too many.

Not sure to follow here, since ABCs are about having an object
supporting a series of methods no matter what are the parent classes.
e.g. this is closer to the concept of "interfaces".

IOW you don't need to derive from a parent class, you just to need to provide
a given set of methods, and ABC provides a ways to check that an
object has that signature.

see: http://docs.python.org/library/collections.html#abcs-abstract-base-classes

ABS is the modern duck typing I'd say :)

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org