[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Jun 7 23:20:48 CEST 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there are important bugs we'll have to work around them.
>> If there are added features we'll have to ignore them.
>
> Not for the bug fixes because they will likely to be backported in all
> versions. (3.3 and 2.7)
>
> Now for new features, if pip uses the latest 2.x and the latest 3.x
> versions, you will get them.
> I am not sure why you would have to ignore them.  You would probably want to
> use the new features when they are released, and still make your code
> work with older versions.

There's no way for the new features to show up in 3.3, is there? You
can't add them to a micro release, and you can't replace a module in the
standard library. I think that's Ian's point.

pip could use the new features in 3.4, and it could get the new features
in 2.x if the users were willing to install the updated library, since
it's not in the stdlib. But for 3.3 you'd be stuck.

--
Eric.