[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Jun 8 00:32:30 CEST 2010

Le lundi 07 juin 2010 à 17:16 -0500, Ian Bicking a écrit :
> I offered examples, you were too lazy to read the changelogs, your
> sweeping declaration does not seem justified.

Sure, but my sweeping declaration is justified by the fact that I'm a
daily contributor to Python core and know what kinds of things happen
here.

> What's New in Python 2.7:
[snip]

Your list seems to forget lots of module-specific improvements.
There are many more things in
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html#new-and-improved-modules ,
and most of them aren't "backported" in any fashion.

> So in summary, of 17 additions which seemed "backportable" to me (not
> counting 3 modules that seemed tied to language features):
> * 4 were not backported
> * 3 have defunct or ambiguous backports
> * 10 were backported

Of course this all depends on your definition of "backportable". If you
remove that arbitrary conditional, the fact remains that most
improvements, small or big, don't get backported.

Regards

Antoine.